Ash Sial (CV)
Selected Awards & Honors
Entomological Society of America (ESA) – Activity Award 2011
ESA Pacific Branch – Henry and Sylvia Richardson Research Grant 2011
John Henry Comstock Award 2010
WSU President’s Award 2009
Robert & Mary Lou Harwood Grad Fellowship 2008 and 2009
AAAS Honorable Mention 2009
Dr. William R. Wiley Award 2007, 2008, and 2009
Dr. C. C. Burkhardt Graduate Student Award 2008 and 2009
WSU Excellence Award 2008
Dean’s Letter of Recognition 2008
UAAR Gold Medal 1998
My research focuses on understanding biology and ecology of economically important arthropod pests of perennial fruit crops and utilizing that information to develop sustainable integrated pest management (IPM) programs. I am particularly interested in insecticide toxicology and resistance evolution. We employ biochemical, molecular, and quantitative genetic approaches to assess the risk of resistance evolution and determine resistance mechanisms in order to develop scientifically based resistance management programs. Much of our current research is focused on invasive species, Drosophila suzukii – the spotted wing drosophila. We also evaluate insect monitoring techniques, biological control, and host plant resistance, and integrate multiple management tactics to provide a systems-level approach to pest management.
Ms. Heather Wilson, Lab Manager, email@example.com
Join the Lab!
We anticipate hiring 1-2 graduate students to begin in Spring 2014. If you would like to apply to my lab as a graduate student please send me your CV, copies of transcripts, GRE and TOEFL (if applicable) score reports, three letters of recommendation, along with a personal research statement via e-mail. Undergraduates interested in acquiring applied research opportunities in entomology are welcome to contact me by e-mail.
- Burrus, R. G. and A. A. Sial. 2013. Implications of insect management for human survival. American Entomologist 59(2): 113-122.
- Sial, A. A., J. T. Hutchins, K. M. Daane. 2012. In-season management of vine mealybug using single application of reduced-risk insecticides. Arthropod Management Tests 37, doi: 10.4182/amt.2012.C16.
- Sial, A. A., J. T. Hutchins, K. M. Daane. 2012. Effectiveness of mating disruption technologies for vine mealybug management in vineyards. Arthropod Management Tests 37, doi: 10.4182/amt.2012.C17.
- Sial, A. A. and C. M. Abraham. 2012. Issues surrounding biodiversity: transgenic crops, biological control, and global climate change. American Entomologist 58 (2): 94-104.
- Sial, A. A. and J. F. Brunner. 2012. Selection for resistance, reversion toward susceptibility, and synergism of chlorantraniliprole and spinetoram in obliquebanded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Pest Manag. Sci. 68 (3): 462-468. DOI: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ps.2294/pdf.
- Sial, A. A. and J. F. Brunner. 2012. Baseline toxicity and stage specificity of reduced-risk insecticides, chlorantraniliprole and spinetoram, on obliquebanded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Pest Manag. Sci. 68 (3): 469-475. DOI: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ps.2296/pdf.
- Sial, A. A., J. F. Brunner and S. F. Garczynski. 2011. Biochemical characterization of chlorantraniliprole and spinetoram resistance in obliquebanded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). Pestic. Biochem. Physiol. 99(3): 274-279.
- Sial, A. A. and J. F. Brunner. 2010. Assessment of resistance risk in obliquebanded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) to the reduced-risk insecticides chlorantraniliprole and spinetoram. J. Econ. Entomol. 103(4): 1378-1385.
- Sial, A. A. and J. F. Brunner. 2010. Toxicity and residual efficacy of chlorantraniliprole, spinetoram and emamectin benzoate to obliquebanded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 103(4): 1277-1285.
- Sial, A. A., N. G. Wiman, J. L. Buchman, and B. Ohler. 2010. Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) should be incorporated into management programs for insect crop pests to reduce insecticide use while providing acceptable levels of damage against all pests and improve crop yield. Am. Entomol. 56(2): 109-110.
- Sial, A. A. and J. F. Brunner. 2010. Lethal and sublethal effects of an insect growth regulator, pyriproxyfen, on obliquebanded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae). J. Econ. Entomol. 103 (2): 340-347.
- Sial, A. A., J. F. Brunner, and M. D. Doerr. 2010. Susceptibility of obliquebanded leafroller (Lepidoptera: Tortricidae) to two new reduced-risk insecticides. J. Econ. Entomol. 103(1): 140-146.